The extensive and dedicated Holy Cross alumni network will once again show its strength on Dec. 16 for the 10th annual Finance Networking Reception. To mark the anniversary, here are 10 things you should know about the event.
1. Members of the Holy Cross Leadership Council of New York initiated the event in 2004 to help students interested in working in financial services industries learn more about the business world.
2. The first reception was held in December 2004 under the moniker Careers in Finance. The event was initiated by John Mullman ’82, portfolio manager at Jennison Associates, and Morgan Kennedy ’87, director of investor relations at Eminence Capital.
3. The first event, which Kennedy hosted at his then-employer Morgan Stanley, drew about 40 students and 25 alumni.
4. The event has grown significantly since its inception. Approximately 125 students and 125 alumni are expected to attend this year.
5. The event is hosted by different alums each year. This year’s event will be held at Goldman Sachs, thanks to Tom Osmond ’90, a managing director in Human Capital Management at the investment banking firm.
6. The event is traditionally held the first working day after fall semester final exams to accommodate students who do not live in close proximity to New York. Students can use their time in January to shadow and set up further meetings with alumni they meet at the reception.
7. Alumni share information about job and internship searches, interview preparation, networking, and the power of a liberal arts education.
8. All financial services industries are represented, including investment banking, asset management, fixed income, financial planning, hedge funds, insurance, operations, human resources, and technology.
9. It is highly beneficial for Holy Cross students who aspire to careers in financial services to attend the event. “It allows our younger students to learn about the various firms and practice areas within a large and complex industry. Our older students have the opportunity to establish relationships with alumni which result in networking opportunities for summer analyst and full-time opportunities,” says Amy Murphy, director of the Career Planning Center, who organizes the event.
10. All alumni who work in the financial services industry are welcome to attend. Register here.
Holy Cross Chapel Artist Series: Music of Christopher Willcock, S.J.See More > 12/04/2014
Christmas Tree Lighting presented by the Purple Key SocietySee More > 12/11/2014
College Choir and Chamber Singers Present Advent Festival of Lessons & CarolsSee More >
‘Remembering The Jesuits Whose Murders Brought An End To Salvadoran Civil War’
WBUR, Boston’s NPR news station, reported from San Salvador, El Salvador, during the commemoration of six Jesuit priests murdered by the Salvadoran army 25 years ago in the...11/14/14
‘Astrophysicist Tyson sells spirit of science: Cosmos superstar shines at HC’
WBUR | Telegram & Gazette | Worcester News Tonight
Astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson lectures to a packed house at the College of the Holy Cross last night, where more than 2500 people were in attendance. The talk, titled...11/07/14
Biology Professor’s Research on Extinct Dodo Bird Makes International Headlines
International Business Times | Yahoo! News | Wired
With new insight on perhaps one of the most distinguished animals to have gone extinct in human history, Leon Claessens, associate professor of biology at the College of the...