Photo Gallery: Students, Faculty and Alumni Celebrate New Brooks Concert Hall With Dedication Concert

February 6th, 2014 by Nikolas Markantonatos


Slide 1. Image by Matthew Atanian


Slide 2. Image by Matthew Atanian


Slide 3. Image by Matthew Atanian


Slide 4. Image by Matthew Atanian


Slide 5. Image by Matthew Atanian


Slide 6. Image by Matthew Atanian


Slide 7. Image by Matthew Atanian


Slide 8. Image by Matthew Atanian

The sheer volume of musical talent within the Holy Cross community was on display in the newly renovated Brooks Concert Hall on Jan. 30 for a dedication concert celebrating the space. Students, faculty and alumni entertained a standing room only crowd with a wide variety of musical performances.

The renovation of Brooks Concert Hall, named for former president of Holy Cross, the late Rev. John E. Brooks, S.J., ’49, was made possible by donations from the Class of 1953. Three members of the class were in attendance at the concert.

For their 60th Reunion, members of the class contributed more than $500,000 in gifts and pledges for the renovation, which included, among other improvements, reorientation of audience seating and enhanced lighting. The effort was led by gift co-chairs William F. Glavin, John T. Magnier, Francis X. Stankard and class chair Rev. Earle Markey, S.J., associate director of Admissions. A plaque in recognition of the generosity of the Class of 1953 now hangs beside the portrait of Fr. Brooks outside the hall.

Fr. Brooks was instrumental in expanding the cultural offerings at Holy Cross, particularly in music. The full-tuition Brooks Music Scholarship is awarded annually to one high school senior, who will major in music. Applicants must demonstrate outstanding accomplishment in the area of instrumental/vocal performance or composition, as well as significant academic achievement. Fr. Brooks also commissioned the College’s award-winning Taylor and Boody Organ, designed in the tradition of 16th and 17th century Dutch and north German organs, which was completed and dedicated in 1985.

“How pleased Fr. Brooks would be to see how creatively this space has been reconfigured and decorated as a venue for musical performances,” said Rev. Philip L. Boroughs, president, in his introductory remarks.

View the music program (PDF).

Related Information

| More
Tags

Comments are closed.

Sort By:
or
04/16/14 Papal Experts Available to Comment on the Canonization of John XXIII and John Paul II
04/16/14 Galician Bagpiper Cristina Pato Named Visiting Artist-in-Residence at Holy Cross
04/16/14 Holy Cross Announces Holy Week and Easter Services
04/16/14 Acclaimed Author Leah Hager Cohen to Give Reading from New Novel ‘No Book but the World’
See All
See All

Featured Videos

See video
Video: First-Year Students Contemplate New Chapter in Life at Escape Retreat

Watch Video >
See video
Video: Holy Cross a Cappella Groups Perform Christmas Classics

Watch Video >
More

What’s Happening on Campus

04/24/2014

Acclaimed Author Leah Hager Cohen to Give Reading at Holy Cross

See More >
05/02/2014

Gamelan Gita Sari

See More >
More

Holy Cross in the News

04/06/14

‘HC student interviews provide secrets to success’

Telegram & Gazette

In a column for the “Business Matters” section in the Telegram & Gazette, Aaron Nicodemus writes about eight seniors at the College of Holy Cross who  interviewed...

03/27/14

PayScale Ranks Holy Cross No. 9 Among Liberal Arts Colleges for Best ROI

The College of the Holy Cross ranks no. 9 among liberal arts college across the country for best return on investment (ROI) according to PayScale, which released its fifth...

03/19/14

A Look Back at 40 Years of Women’s Basketball at Holy Cross

This year, the women’s basketball program at the College of the Holy Cross is celebrating its 40th anniversary. The March issue of Connections, an online publications of...