‘Sunday Sit-down: Jon Favreau’

Telegram & Gazette
May 19th, 2014 by

In this week’s ‘Sunday Sit-down,’ Jon Favreau, a 2003 College of the Holy Cross alumnus and former director of speechwriting for President Obama, spoke with the Telegram and Gazette about his upcoming commencement address at the College. Favreau currently resides in Washington, D.C. and continues to work in the speechwriting business with his company, Fenway Strategies, as well as write for the Daily Beast. As he prepares to return to Fitton Field, Favreau recalls his own address as a student in 2003, when Chris Matthews ’67 delivered the commencement address, acknowledging these speeches as “a  time when we can be unabashedly hopeful and give inspiring advice.” Favreau attests much of his own inspirational while on the hill to his professors.

“I say this everywhere I go. I really would not be where am I today without the professors of Holy Cross,” says Favreau. “The benefit of going to such a small school is that I did not just learn from these professors in the classroom. I went to their office hours and got to know a lot of them really well. I think the professor I still think about the most was Professor Stephanie Yuhl, a history professor there. She actually advised me as I was writing my commencement, myself, she helped me on my thesis my senior year as well. I still love her because she taught me so much but she also treated me as an adult and spoke to me like an adult and had debates like an adult and I always appreciated that from her.”

Related News

This is a “Holy Cross in the News Item” by Evangelia Stefanakos ’14.

For additional information, please contact Cristal Steuer at 508-793-2419.

Comments are closed.

08/27/16 Photo Gallery, Video: Class of 2020 Receives A Holy Cross Welcome on Move-In Day
08/24/16 VIDEO: Stephen Colbert Talks Holy Cross in Web Exclusive
08/22/16 End of Summer Reminds Holy Cross English Professor Why She Teaches
08/19/16 Eight Members of the Holy Cross Community Present Research at Genetics Conference
Featured Videos

Video: Spring Blooms on Holy Cross Campus

Watch Video >
See video
Video: Class of 2016 Shares What’s Next

Watch Video >
See video
‘Major in Anything…Succeed in Business’

Watch Video >
See video
Photo Gallery, Video: Obama Advisor Broderick Johnson ’78 Speaks on ‘My Brother’s Keeper,’ Other White House Initiatives

Watch Video >
See video
Crusaders Win Patriot League Championship

Watch Video >
See video
Men’s Basketball Knocks Off Bucknell In Double Overtime Thriller

Watch Video >
See video
New Webcams Provide Live Video Stream of Campus, Contemplative Center

Watch Video >

Dance Concert
3 May 2017, 9:00 pm
O'Kane Hall Fewick Theater
Our annual spring dance concert showcases vibrant work by the students in our Modern, Ballet and Jazz... See More >

Agape Latte
24 Apr 2017, 7:00 pm
Loyola Hall
See More >

Agape Latte
24 Apr 2017, 7:00 pm
Hogan Center
See More >

THE ROYAL FAMILY, by George S. Kaufman and Edna Ferber
8 Apr 2017, 8:00 pm
O'Kane Hall Fewick Theater
Steve Vineberg directs an American comedy classic about three generations of a famous theatrical family... See More >

THE ROYAL FAMILY, by George S. Kaufman and Edna Ferber

Agape Latte
27 Mar 2017, 7:00 pm
Loyola Hall
See More >

CABA Meeting
16 Mar 2017, 3:30 pm
Henry M. Hogan Campus Center 406(07)
See More >

Agape Latte
27 Feb 2017, 7:00 pm
Loyola Hall
See More >

CABA Meeting
23 Feb 2017, 3:30 pm
Henry M. Hogan Campus Center 406(07)
See More >

Agape Latte
30 Jan 2017, 7:00 pm
Loyola Hall
See More >

Woven Power: Ritual Textiles of Sarawak and West Kalimantan
14 Dec 2016, 10:00 am
O'Kane Hall Cantor Art Gallery
"Pua kumbu" are magnificent, intricately dyed, hand-loomed cotton ikat textiles once woven as religious... See More >

Woven Power: Ritual Textiles of Sarawak and West Kalimantan

Woven Power: Ritual Textiles of Sarawak and West Kalimantan
9 Dec 2016, 10:00 am
O'Kane Hall Cantor Art Gallery

More Holy Cross in the News

08/24/16

VIDEO: Stephen Colbert Talks Holy Cross in Web Exclusive

In a Facebook web exclusive, comedian and host of “The Late Show” Stephen Colbert demonstrated the far reach of the College of the Holy Cross Community. When asked by an...

08/22/16

End of Summer Reminds Holy Cross English Professor Why She Teaches

Boston Globe

Even though the summer goes by too fast for Leila Philip, the “August migration back to campus” is a good thing, she wrote in an opinion piece published by the Boston...

08/19/16

Holy Cross Alumna, Professor Experience the Olympics in Rio

BBC World Service | The New York Times | The Wall Street Journal | Inside Higher Ed | Telegram & Gazette | GoLocalWorcester.com | Charter TV3

Annie O’Shea ’12 and Victor Matheson, professor of economics at College of the Holy Cross, helped media outlets localize the Olympic Games during their recent trips to...