In Memoriam: Rev. Anthony J. Kuzniewski, S.J., 1945-2016

December 21st, 2016 by

Fr. Kuzniewski remembered through the years

Rev. Anthony J. Kuzniewski, S.J., professor emeritus of history at the College of the Holy Cross, died on Monday, Dec. 19, 2016 at the Campion Health Center in Weston, Mass. at the age of 71 after a swift battle with cancer.

A beloved member of the Holy Cross community for 37 years, Fr. Kuzniewski was regarded for his distinguished scholarship and exceptional teaching, as well as his mentorship and ministry to Holy Cross student athletes.

Born in Carthage, Mo. on Jan. 28, 1945, to the late Anthony J. and Alice E. (Tomaszewski) Kuzniewski, Fr. Kuzniewski grew up surrounded by the strong Catholic Polish American community in Milwaukee, Wis., where he was instilled with both an enduring interest in the story of the Polish in America and also a lifelong devotion to the Green Bay Packers.

He studied history at Marquette University, graduating  magna cum laude in 1966. He went on to earn a master’s in 1967 and doctorate in 1973, both from Harvard University, where he studied and taught as a Woodrow Wilson Fellow and a Harvard Graduate Prize Fellow. Fr. Kuzniewski entered the Society of Jesus in the New England Province in 1972, and was ordained to the Roman Catholic priesthood on June 9, 1979, at St. Joseph Memorial Chapel at College of the Holy Cross by The Most Reverend Bernard J. Flanagan, D.D., J.C.D., Bishop of Worcester. Just prior to his ordination, he received a master’s of divinity from the Jesuit School of Theology in Chicago.

Fr. Kuzniewski was widely regarded for his scholarship in American urban 19th century social and political history, particularly for his work on the history of the Polish church in Wisconsin in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, for which he was honored with a lifetime achievement award by the Polish American Historical Association. The manuscript from his 1981 book, “Faith and Fatherland: The Polish Church War in Wisconsin, 1896 – 1918,” was named best manuscript in American Catholic Studies by Notre Dame’s Center for Studies in American Catholicism in 1978. He was also an expert in Jesuit history in the United States, and is best known within Jesuit higher education for his monograph “Thy Honored Name:  A History of the College of the Holy Cross, 1843 – 1994.”

Known affectionately as “Father K” by the generations of students who were inspired by his notable teaching, mentorship and passion for history, Fr. Kuzniewski taught many sought-after courses, including “The Age of Jackson,” “Lincoln and his Legacy,” “From Kennedy to Watergate,” and particularly popular seminars on the Civil War and the history of Holy Cross. Fr. Kuzniewski encouraged Holy Cross students outside the classroom as well, particularly through his service as chaplain to numerous athletics teams each season for over 20 years. His guidance and support engendered such gratitude and respect among Holy Cross alumni and student athletes, that the crew team was moved to name a shell after him. Additionally, an anonymous donor family named the lacrosse field in his honor in April 2016. The field is now officially named “Kuzniewski Field.”

Fr. Kuzniewski’s service to the Jesuit community extended beyond the classrooms and athletics facilities at Holy Cross. He served as Rector of the Jesuit Community at Holy Cross from 1998-2004 and on the boards of Loyola University of Chicago, Cheverus High School in Portland, Maine, and The Nativity School in Worcester, Mass. He was also past president of the Polish American Historical Association and served as archivist for the New England Province of the Society of Jesus in the 11 years prior to his death.

While he formally retired from his tenured position in Holy Cross’ Department of History in May 2016, Fr. Kuzniewski continued to teach part time as well as to maintain his roles as athletics chaplain and College historian. He also served as an assistant director and alumni chaplain in the office of advancement. Fr. Kuzniewski embodied the Jesuit and Holy Cross ideal of educating the whole person — mind, body and spirit. He embraced Holy Cross, its mission and his role as educator.

In accepting the Distinguished Teaching Award at Holy Cross in 2002, he said: “It’s axiomatic to remark that we make better choices when we base them on an accurate and realistic sense of who we are and where we are coming from. Personal history teaches all of us that the significant people are those [who] have presented us with good choices by naming our gifts and challenging us to have the courage of our convictions. We are called to provide that service for our students — to model good habits of mind and heart for them, to take stands for their potential, to live up to the privilege of being engaged with young people who are still ‘impressionable like wax.’”

Fr. Kuzniewski is preceded in death by his sister Susan Kuzniewski Reifsnyder and survived by his devoted niece Anne Reifsnyder of Milwaukee and nephews, Michael Reifsnyder of Omaha, Neb. and Tom Reifsnyder of Osaka, Japan.

In lieu of flowers, donations can be made in his memory to The Nativity School of Worcester, 67 Lincoln St., Worcester, Mass. 01650.

Both wake and funeral will be held in St. Joseph Memorial Chapel at the College of the Holy Cross on Monday, Dec. 26.  The wake will begin at 1 p.m. with funeral mass immediately following at 2 p.m.  A brief graveside service and burial will take place in the Jesuit cemetery on campus following the funeral mass.

Help us celebrate Fr. Kuzniewski’s life and honor his immeasurable contributions to Holy Cross by sharing your memories, tributes and photos. Send them to hcmag@holycross.edu, share them on the College of the Holy Cross Facebook page, or in the comments below.

Memorial Service

• A memorial Mass will be said for Fr. Kuzniewski on Tuesday, Jan. 31 at 12:05 p.m. in St. Joseph Memorial Chapel. All are welcome.

Media Coverage

Related Information

Tags
Categories
History, News

Comments (30)
  1. Elizabeth Tomaszewski says:

I called him “Cousin.” I attended the Memorial Mass last evening at Mother of Good Counsel with Troop 61 in Milwaukee. There were many photo’s and films of a life time he spent with the scouts, and his most influential role as Chaplain. He was always happy and beaming. He was such an adornment to our wonderful family. I shall miss his luster and spiritual guidance. As an icon in our Busha’s house once read Spia-z-Bogiem (Sleep with God.). His father would often correct my pronunciation. In the year of Divine Mercy “Jesus I trust in you” has always been your example and way. I know your guidance has always been with and continues to be with me.

2. Joseph M. O'Donnell '66 says:

We became friends in 1966 while he was in graduate school at Harvard, and I, at Clark U. We visited at Cambridge. MA and he came to visit Worcester for his first time to reciprocate. On this visit, we walked from Clark to Saturday mass at St Joseph’s chapel at Holy Cross. It was his visit to campus, and later he wrote how little did he imagine then how much of his later life he would spend there. Our friendship was rekindled in later years with our mutual Marquette friend; he visited me at my home and I with him at HC many times more recently,

Today I sat in the same pew where I was assigned in 1962 for obligatory mass attendance and assisted (voluntarily) for his funeral send off, staving my shedding tears for the loss on companionship of my friend.

3. Jim Sparkes '71 says:

If the measure of a life well lived can be measured by the reflection of love and gratitude by the many whom he/she has touched throughout the years, then Tony Kuzniewski shines as bright as any star in the universe.
    I am blessed to have had him in my life and that of my family. May God grant him peace for his life well lived.

4. Benjamin Howe says:

Fr. Kuzniewski was a wonderful professor and a favorite of mine during my time at the Hill. He inspired us to learn more about our personal history, which I will always appreciate. His assignment to connect with a relative who had immigrated got me closer to my grandfather, which was a true blessing. May peace be with you and your family during this time.

5. Sloane Burns '15 says:

Fr. K was one of the friendliest people I met at HC. Every time I would walk into Stein I along with every other student were greeted by his smiling face and a fun fact. As the HC historian he never failed to have a legend up his sleeve. I was especially blessed to have him as my spiritual director on the spiritual exercises my senior year. Finally, the simple fact of shared Polish heritage allowed us to have a special connection during my time on the hill. I will miss the polish greetings and cultural stories. RIP Fr. K you will be dearly missed by me and all my fellow HC family students & alums. Thank you for your love, kindness, smiles, jokes and knowledge that you bestowed upon us. <3

6. Robert Danahy '55 says:

I visited Fr. K at Campion Center a couple hours before his death and I’d like his many friends to learn that despite some difficult days, his death was very peaceful. At his request I brought along some stamps for the Christmas notes he was writing when I arrived. He said he felt “pretty good” and had very much enjoyed the visit of two HC colleagues earlier in the afternoon. About 9PM he asked the nurse to take him to the bathroom and put him to bed. When she checked back in an hour, he was gone.

Father was ready to die but not this quickly. He wanted to be remembered to all his HC friends.

I’ll never forget his statement — He looked forward to having “Jesus introduce him to the Father.”

7. Tom Pelt says:

Fr. Tony loved the outdoors. One of his passions was fishing. He and I went to Canada numerous times. He loved being in the open air, even if fishing was slow. I remember him battling and catching several large northern along with numerous walleye and bass. He also was a great cook and seemed to enjoy it.
    Fr. Tony and I grew up in scouting together. He was the celebrant at my wedding. He was quite nervous because we were his first wedding. He wore his scout vestments that day. His first Mass was actually the day after our wedding.
    Fr. Tony was a great friend. I will miss him dearly.

8. Patrick '01 says:

Fr. K – you are one of the people that had a lasting impact on my life and are synonymous with my time on The Hill. You were a true Man for Others and you challenged all of us to see, think and feel better, be better, and do better. You will be missed but not forgotten.

9. Ben Ticho '68 says:

I will always remember Fr. K for his role as chaplain of men’s lacrosse. After John Price’s untimely death in 2000, he along with Coach McCaffrey, encouraged teammates to become Big Brothers in John’s memory. For the past 16 years these young men truly became men for others. Fr K was an inspiration. I would see him on the sidelines for football and lacrosse, and following basketball at every home game. He was always there with a kind word, a funny story, and a reminder of Green Bay’s football prowess. He will be missed but not forgotten.

10. Jill D'Urso '04 says:

It is with great sadness that I hear of Father K’s passing. His was one of my favorite classes I took at Holy Cross–American Urban History. Father K taught me a tremendous amount not just about history, but about writing. He was one of the first people to tell me I had a talent for writing–he even called it a “gift from God,” and he encouraged me to pursue it seriously, which I’ve done from then on. He will be missed.

11. Tom Neagle '70 says:

While I am sure Fr. K will be missed by the many student-athletes for the teams for which he was chaplain and the thousands of students who he taught over the years at Holy Cross, he will also be sorely missed by the posters on Crossports for his insight, good humor and and plain Midwestern common sense.

Rest in peace, Fr. K. You will be missed.

12. Shannon Handley 1995 says:

Father K entered my life when I was very much “impressionable like wax.” He was inspiring in the classroom and dynamic around our Caro Street dinner table, where he often broke bread with me and my Crusader sisters. What I remember most about Father K was his advocacy for women and the importance of becoming a person for others. I carry the lessons he taught me, every day, in my own classroom. Father will be deeply missed, but always remembered.

13. Gerry McKeon, S.J. says:

Tony was a dear friend — First when I was a student at Holy Cross. Then when he recruited me to come as a Chaplain from 1999-2003.
    Tony was always a great support. He loved Holy Cross. He loved being a Jesuit. He was a good and faithful servant of God.
    And he asks us not to grieve his entrance into eternal life. Instead he says we should listen to the prophet Zechariah in Luke 1:78 — Look out for the tender mercy of our God by which the daybreak from on high will visit us to shine on those who sit in darkness and death’s shadow to guide our feet into the path of peace.’

Thank you Fr. Tony — for your friendship and brotherhood, for your giftedness as a teacher and guide, for your faithfulness to God — and for your journeying with Jesus on this earthly pilgrimage. Now he leads you to the Father!

AMDG always — Gerry McKeon, S.J.
    Class of 1976

14. Fred Bunsa '87 says:

I just had to pause and take a moment to offer a prayer for Fr K upon reading the news of his death. I never had Father K as a teacher, but while discerning the priesthood in Junior and Senior year I knew I needed a Spiritual Director to help me navigate such an important (and counter-cultural) decision. As I listen to the many different Jesuits preach their homilies while at HC, something about Fr K’s intellect and spirituality told me to ask him for help. I’ll never forget his surprised little smile and reply when I asked him if he would be willing to assist me in this big discernment. He said, “I would be happy to accompany you…but I am NOT going to tell you what to do!” (He never let anyone take the easy way out.)

To this day, there are numerous insights and comments he offered to me over my time at HC that still jump into my mind and heart when facing a particular decision or challenge.

I am grateful to God for the life of Fr K and I am grateful to him for being such a rare combination of priest, teacher, guide and friend. He will be missed.

15. Ann Farrell 91 says:

Father K embodied what Holy Cross was to me. I was a History/ premed major and took almost all of his classes. He possessed all the qualities of a scholar and a teacher. He must have used a box of red pens up correcting my papers. He told me that if you can’t write a proper sentence, it doesn’t matter how much education you have because no one will be impressed. Very good advice that followed me through Boston College Law and my twenty plus years of practice since then. As a member of the Jacksonian Society, I have fond memories of toasting the union at the pub with Father K. I have enjoyed my three years on the alumni board with him and regret my daughter Erin ’19 won’t have the opportunity to learn from Father K. A soft- spoken gentleman, he will be greatly missed.

16. Tom Gordon '08 says:

Fr. K was Holy Cross for me. He had such a brilliant command of history, and was so good at making things from American history relevant to his students. He was funny, caring, and a role model. I was inspired to do Teach for America after taking Age of Jackson and then Lincoln & His Legacy back to back, and had the good fortune to stay in touch with him as I taught history in Kansas City. I was blessed to have him as the officiant at my wedding last October, and know that he made that ceremony even more special. He will be missed greatly

17. Rebecca Peil says:

As I was reading Fr. K’s obituary, my 7yo daughter walked in the room, frustrated to tears that she couldn’t make a perfect Christmas tree drawing. Right then & there, I passed along the lesson Fr. K taught me 20 years ago on the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius: “Don’t worry about being perfect; just be good.” It was a life lesson I’ve never forgotten, and now, through his death, he is passing his wisdom a generation further. Thank you, Fr. K, and may peace be with you & your family.

18. Mike Hennessey, '64 says:

I was honored to be in attendance last April at the naming of Kuzniewski Field and deeply moved to be on the field during the dedication. As a former lacrosse player in the early 60’s, I did not know Fr. Kuzniewski, but had the opportunity to meet him prior to the game. I was very much impressed with the interest he showed in me, his kindness and his deep love for the College, its students and athletes. I am grateful for the brief time I spent with Fr. Kuzniewski and for opportunity to stand in this great man’s shadow. Rest in peace Fr. K.

19. Matthew Keating says:

We will all miss Fr. Kuzniewski so much. He had such a wonderful spirit about him. I am a member of the class of 1986 and took Urban history with him. We studied the Industrial Revolution and actually visited the looming factories in Lowell, Massachusetts. He taught us why cities were designed in specific patterns. Washington DC being a copy of Paris which is concentric from the center. The grid of New York City and many others. Just an exceptional teacher and wonderful spirit. RIP. Father K. clearly illustrated the exceptional worth of an education at the College of the Holy Cross.

20. Jess Bailot says:

I had the pleasure of sitting in on Father K’s “Lincoln and his Legacy” course. There was something about Father K and the way he so passionately made history come alive that I knew I had to be a part of the Holy Cross Community. He truly was a wonderful part of the Holy Cross Community and he will be missed. May he rest in peace.

21. Andrew Tourtelotte says:

Father K was a living example and showed us how to be men and women for others. He was at the height of his abilities while he led us during a five-day silent retreat in the fall of 1992. In addition to introducing us to some of the principles of the Spiritual Exercises he also had the unenviable task to making sure Father Joe Labran didn’t overtax himself. He handled it all with grace, patience and love.

22. Brad Desmarais says:

Excellent classes were just the beginning with Father K. He was so involved, always so present at Holy Cross events, masses, sports, meals, even the pub sometimes. He was always ready to chat and in these moments he inserted his amusing wisdom into my life. He was brilliant as a professor, due in equal parts to his command of the material and his comfort and rapport with students. But his social commentary, his humor, his off-the-cuff philosophical reflections were just as meaningful to me and, I am sure, many, many others.

23. Patrick Bieser says:

Fr. Tony (as we called him) had another life outside of Holy Cross. For the past 40 years he was the Chaplin for Boy Scout Troop 61 in Millwaukee, WI — his other home town. He grew up here attending Mother of Good Counsel parish and school, and became the 25th Eagle Scout of Troop 61 in 1962. Fr Tony loved camping, fishing, hiking, and being outdoors. Every year for as long as we can remember he would take a few days off in late July to travel with the troop to our summer camp in northern Wisconsin. He would offer Mass on Sunday morning on the bluff overlooking Jag Lake — delivering a homily perfectly tuned to teen age boys. In the evening he would tell spine tingling ghost stories at the scout campfire. You could hear a pin drop as he wove his tale, and sometimes the ending would be so unexpected scouts would jump in surprise. Did anyone at Holy Cross ever hear his joke about Ollie winning the toilet brush at the church breakfast? Fr. Tony was our friend, our inspiration, our teacher, our fountain of wisdom, our role model, and our mentor. We loved him and will treasure all the goodness he brought into the world. Here is a brief video we made of him two summers ago for the 75th anniversary of Troop 61. He was speaking of his role as chaplin. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-Q7382LCjs&feature=youtu.be

• Deborah Dunn '85 says:

Patrick-thank you so much for that post. It is a beautiful window into another part of Fr. K than the life on the HC campus. So great to be able to see him touching so many lives all around the country–specially with the Scouts and Wisconsin that he so loved!

24. Thomas Dutzer '90 says:

Thoughts and prayers for the passing of Fr. Kuzniewski. He brought a quiet commitment to his teaching at Holy Cross and I’m proud to have learned a great deal in his classes. RIP

25. Mark Murray '78 says:

So sad to hear the news of Fr. Kuzniewski’s passing.
    Having enjoyed his American Immigration class, first taught back in 1977-78, I remember him for his exceptional teaching and passion for history. Through books and countless personal stories, he brought to life in the classroom what immigration and assimilation of many cultures meant to both our immigrants and our country. His perspectives on the topic resonate with me even more today than ever.
    Thank you Fr. K. RIP

26. Nick Washburn says:

Father K was an instrumental part of supporting the Men’s Lacrosse Team as chaplain, particularly through the tragic passing of our teammate John Price. He will be sorely missed and was a great man. RIP Father K.

27. Corey Welford says:

Father K was an incredible teacher and mentor. I was lucky enough to have him as a professor in my first semester, and he really taught me how to be a college student. I made sure to take two more of his classes after that. When I think of why Holy Cross is such a special place, Father K is right at the top. He was a special person that so many of us were blessed to know, and I want to wish his family my condolences – they should know how beloved he was by so many and how thankful we are to have known him.

28. Suzanne Morrissey says:

What a lovely, kind man. And what a loss for all who knew him, especially his friends and students in the Holy Cross community.

29. Tim Donovan says:

Father K taught me how to write. I had him for American Themes freshman year. He was a straight shooter with high expectations while being very supportive. He helped me tremendously as a student and person. He and Father Ford had the biggest impact on me during my four years at HC. RIP Father K.

08/14/17 French Artist Gabrielle Thierry to Exhibit at the Cantor Art Gallery
08/10/17 Holy Cross Student Interning at NBC Nightly News Reports: ‘Has It Ever Been This Bad With North Korea? Yes, Actually’
08/07/17 Blog: Lambrecht ’19 Eager to Get a Global Perspective During Year Abroad in Ireland, Tanzania
08/01/17 Photo Gallery: Holy Cross Students Get Professional Experience Through Summer Internships Across the Country

8/16/2017
Lawn by Linden Lane
In September 2016, Arts Transcending Borders (ATB), in association with the Cantor...

8/17/2017

8/18/2017

8/19/2017

Marching Preseason Camp Reg
8/20/2017
Holy Cross Bands
Henry M. Hogan Campus Center Lobby Table 1
Registration for Band Camp for new and returning students...

Marching Band Camp Reg
8/20/2017
Holy Cross Bands
Henry M. Hogan Campus Center Lobby Table 2

8/20/2017

8/21/2017

8/22/2017

MPE Training
8/22/2017
Office of Multicultural Education
Henry M. Hogan Campus Center 304(05)

8/23/2017

8/29/2017

8/30/2017

Study Abroad Welcome Back Reception
8/31/2017
Study Abroad
Henry M. Hogan Campus Center Ballroom & 328
This event is for Study Abroad Class of 2018 and Summer...

8/31/2017

MPE Meeting
9/4/2017
Henry M. Hogan Campus Center 320

Center for Career Dev - PCA Workshop
9/4/2017
Henry M. Hogan Campus Center 405
Training Workshop for Center for Career Development Peer Career AssistantsInvited...

9/4/2017

BSU Gathering
9/5/2017
Office of Multicultural Education
Henry M. Hogan Campus Center 402(03)

Center for Career Dev - PCA Workshop
9/5/2017
Henry M. Hogan Campus Center 405

9/5/2017

Latinidad Identidad
9/6/2017
Henry M. Hogan Campus Center 401

Center for Career Dev - PCA Workshop
9/6/2017
Henry M. Hogan Campus Center 405
See More >>

7 C's of Social Change (Event canceled)
9/6/2017
Henry M. Hogan Campus Center 402

9/6/2017

Study Abroad Fair
9/7/2017
Study Abroad
Henry M. Hogan Campus Center Ballroom & 328
For Class of 2020 interested in studying abroad. Returnees...

7 C's of Social Change
9/7/2017
Office of Multicultural Education
Henry M. Hogan Campus Center 402(03)

9/7/2017

McFarland Center for Religion
Carol and Park B. Smith Hall Rehm Lib

9/11/2017

Wall Street Intern Panel
9/12/2017
Center for Career Development
Henry M. Hogan Campus Center 406(08)
Come hear from fellow Holy Cross students who interned this summer...

9/12/2017

Co-Curricular Extravaganza
9/13/2017
Featured
Henry M. Hogan Campus Center Ballroom & 328
Students are encouraged to attend and learn more about...

MPE Information Session

9/16/2017
Office of Student Involvement
Henry M. Hogan Campus Center Crossroads

9/16/2017

9/17/2017
See More >>

Male Involvement Coalition (MIC)
9/18/2017
Henry M. Hogan Campus Center 320

9/18/2017

9/19/2017

Race: The Power of an Illusion Part 1
9/20/2017
Henry M. Hogan Campus Center 519

Creating an Inclusive Campus: Skills and Practice
9/20/2017
Office of Diversity and Inclusion
Henry M. Hogan Campus Center 402(03)
This workshop will take diversity and inclusion from theory to...

Career Fair

9/22/2017

9/23/2017

9/24/2017

GE Meet & Greet Session
9/25/2017
Center for Career Development
Henry M. Hogan Campus Center 304(05)
Come meet with GE to learn more about their internship program.Selected...

Christie's Education Graduate Art Program Information Session
9/25/2017
Henry M. Hogan Campus Center 406

9/25/2017

7 C's of Social Change Part 2
9/26/2017
Henry M. Hogan Campus Center 401

9/26/2017

GE On-Campus Recruiting
9/26/2017
Henry M. Hogan Campus Center 404
Visit Crusader Connections to learn more about opportunities at GE...

Nielsen Meet & Greet
9/27/2017
Henry M. Hogan Campus Center 406
Meet & Greet to learn about the Nielsen Company and finance internships...

Meredith Terretta Lecture
9/27/2017
Africana Studies
Smith Laboratories 154

9/27/2017

Environmental Studies Alumni Career Panel
9/28/2017
Center for Career Development
Henry M. Hogan Campus Center 408(09)

9/28/2017

9/29/2017

9/30/2017
See More >>

Male Involvement Coalition (MIC)
10/2/2017

Henry M. Hogan Campus Center Lobby Table 3

National Depression Screening Day
10/3/2017
Counseling Center
Henry M. Hogan Campus Center Lobby Table 2
See More >>

7 C's of Social Change (Event canceled)
10/4/2017
Office of Multicultural Education
Henry M. Hogan Campus Center 304(05)
See More >>

Male Involvement Coalition (MIC)
10/16/2017
Henry M. Hogan Campus Center 320

Reading by Adrian Nicole LeBlanc
10/18/2017
English
Carol and Park B. Smith Hall Rehm Lib
See More >>

William James College Info Session - Careers in Psychology and Behavioral Health
10/18/2017

Carol and Park B. Smith Hall Rehm Lib

Poetry Reading by Gabrielle Calvocoressi
11/2/2017
English
Carol and Park B. Smith Hall Rehm Lib
See More >>

Black Student Union Presents "Griot"
11/3/2017