Junior in Washington Semester Program Witnesses History in the Making

Bovat ’14 tracks election results at NBC
November 7th, 2012 by

The moment the first two state polls closed at 6 p.m., the news desk managers and I kicked into high gear as we zipped our eyes from computer screen to competing television stations in anticipation for the presidential election results.

On a typical day, I work from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. for political talk show “Hardball with Chris Matthews,” but the election gave me the opportunity to work in a somewhat new environment — the newsroom.

Watching the results in the fast-paced atmosphere of the NBC Washington, D.C. bureau was an incredibly invigorating feeling. Although a nightly talk show certainly demands prompt response, the energy in the newsroom on election night was incomparable.

I had several television broadcasting networks playing in addition to an internal network election poll application on my desktop computer that allowed me to observe results. I was blissfully happy by the speed in which I was able to instantaneously attain information from various sources at once. You know the feeling you get when you’re among the first to read breaking news on Twitter? Multiply that by 10.

The excitement and suspense seemed to grow stronger as the night went on and as results steadily came pouring in.

One aspect of my internship that has consistently impressed me is the genuine passion that every department of the D.C. bureau has for politics. From the hosts, producers, bookers, technical staff, and interns such as myself, everyone is eager to discuss important domestic issues on and off the set. This is a quality that cannot be faked for the camera.

This natural energy was elevated even further on election night. Casual conversations about historical election trends to the current voting demographics carried on. From an aspiring journalist’s perspective, the opportunity to be surrounded by such innovative technology and seasoned professionals was an unforgettable experience. The fast-paced atmosphere is what drives me to the industry and working on election night offered me the first-hand experience I was craving.

As a proud American citizen, however, I also realized that I was part of something huge. As I monitored the ballot numbers climbing on the computer screen, I would catch myself pausing to reflect. I could not help but appreciate what each increased poll for a first-time woman candidate or openly gay member of Congress said about the country’s rather recent strides.

Ultimately, the energy that fueled my tireless pace in the newsroom was driven by the pride I have for my country, and that sentiment alone is what truly made my 2012 election night in Washington D.C. truly unforgettable.

Sara Bovat ’14 is currently participating in the Washington Semester Program. She is an intern in the Office of Public Affairs at Holy Cross.

Related Information:

Tags
Categories
News

Comments are closed.

08/27/16 Photo Gallery, Video: Class of 2020 Receives A Holy Cross Welcome on Move-In Day
08/24/16 VIDEO: Stephen Colbert Talks Holy Cross in Web Exclusive
08/22/16 End of Summer Reminds Holy Cross English Professor Why She Teaches
08/19/16 Eight Members of the Holy Cross Community Present Research at Genetics Conference
Featured Videos

Video: Spring Blooms on Holy Cross Campus

Watch Video >
See video
Video: Class of 2016 Shares What’s Next

Watch Video >
See video
‘Major in Anything…Succeed in Business’

Watch Video >
See video
Photo Gallery, Video: Obama Advisor Broderick Johnson ’78 Speaks on ‘My Brother’s Keeper,’ Other White House Initiatives

Watch Video >
See video
Crusaders Win Patriot League Championship

Watch Video >
See video
Men’s Basketball Knocks Off Bucknell In Double Overtime Thriller

Watch Video >
See video
New Webcams Provide Live Video Stream of Campus, Contemplative Center

Watch Video >

Dance Concert
3 May 2017, 9:00 pm
O'Kane Hall Fewick Theater
Our annual spring dance concert showcases vibrant work by the students in our Modern, Ballet and Jazz... See More >

Agape Latte
24 Apr 2017, 7:00 pm
Loyola Hall
See More >

Agape Latte
24 Apr 2017, 7:00 pm
Hogan Center
See More >

THE ROYAL FAMILY, by George S. Kaufman and Edna Ferber
8 Apr 2017, 8:00 pm
O'Kane Hall Fewick Theater
Steve Vineberg directs an American comedy classic about three generations of a famous theatrical family... See More >

THE ROYAL FAMILY, by George S. Kaufman and Edna Ferber

Agape Latte
27 Mar 2017, 7:00 pm
Loyola Hall
See More >

CABA Meeting
16 Mar 2017, 3:30 pm
Henry M. Hogan Campus Center 406(07)
See More >

Agape Latte
27 Feb 2017, 7:00 pm
Loyola Hall
See More >

CABA Meeting
23 Feb 2017, 3:30 pm
Henry M. Hogan Campus Center 406(07)
See More >

Agape Latte
30 Jan 2017, 7:00 pm
Loyola Hall
See More >

Woven Power: Ritual Textiles of Sarawak and West Kalimantan
14 Dec 2016, 10:00 am
O'Kane Hall Cantor Art Gallery
"Pua kumbu" are magnificent, intricately dyed, hand-loomed cotton ikat textiles once woven as religious... See More >

Woven Power: Ritual Textiles of Sarawak and West Kalimantan

Woven Power: Ritual Textiles of Sarawak and West Kalimantan
9 Dec 2016, 10:00 am
O'Kane Hall Cantor Art Gallery

More Holy Cross in the News

08/24/16

VIDEO: Stephen Colbert Talks Holy Cross in Web Exclusive

In a Facebook web exclusive, comedian and host of “The Late Show” Stephen Colbert demonstrated the far reach of the College of the Holy Cross Community. When asked by an...

08/22/16

End of Summer Reminds Holy Cross English Professor Why She Teaches

Boston Globe

Even though the summer goes by too fast for Leila Philip, the “August migration back to campus” is a good thing, she wrote in an opinion piece published by the Boston...

08/19/16

Holy Cross Alumna, Professor Experience the Olympics in Rio

BBC World Service | The New York Times | The Wall Street Journal | Inside Higher Ed | Telegram & Gazette | GoLocalWorcester.com | Charter TV3

Annie O’Shea ’12 and Victor Matheson, professor of economics at College of the Holy Cross, helped media outlets localize the Olympic Games during their recent trips to...