To celebrate the renovation of Rev. John E. Brooks, S.J. Concert Hall, the music department at the College of the Holy Cross will hold a dedication concert on Jan. 30 at 7 p.m., followed immediately by a reception in Brooks 133. The concert and reception are free and open to the public.
The music program features current students, faculty, and alumni. The Brooks Quartet will perform Mozart’s “Dissonant Quartet,” and there will be performances by Brooks Scholars Arthur Joseph Dalton IV ’15, trumpet, and Adam Ouellet ’16, tenor, and former Brooks Scholar Jonathan Yasuda ‘05, piano, as well as the Holy Cross Chamber Singers.
The Holy Cross Chamber Orchestra will perform the first movement of Joseph Haydn’s ‘Symphony No. 104’; an excerpt from Igor Stravinsky’s ‘Le Sacre Du Printemps arranged for 2 Pianos’; and works by Chris Arrell, assistant professor of music; Osvaldo Golijov, Loyola Professor of Music; and Shirish Korde, Distinguished Professor of Humanities and chair of the music department.
The renovation of Brooks Concert Hall, named for former president of Holy Cross Rev. John E. Brooks, S.J., ’49, was made possible by donations from the Class of 1953, who have been invited to attend the event. For their 60th Reunion, members of the class gave more than $500,000 in gifts and pledges for the renovation. The gift effort was led by gift co-chairs William F. Glavin, John T. Magnier, Francis X. Stankard and class chair Rev. Earle Markey, S.J. There is a plaque in recognition of the generosity of the Class of 1953 hung beside the portrait of Fr. Brooks outside of the hall.
Fr. Brooks was instrumental in expanding the cultural offerings at Holy Cross, particularly in music. The full-tuition Brooks Music Scholarship is awarded to one high school senior each year, who will major in music. Applicants must demonstrate outstanding accomplishment in the area of instrumental/vocal performance or composition, as well as significant academic achievement. He also commissioned the College’s award-winning Taylor and Boody Organ, designed in the tradition of 16th and 17th century Dutch and north German organs, which was completed and dedicated in 1985.
Comments are closed.